Standing upon cliffs overlooking the Firth of Clyde, Kildonan Castle is accorded much antiquity but the present ruins would suggest a tower house of late 14th or early 15th century.
Kildonan Castle circa 1900 with upper vault partly intact
Both ground floor and first floor levels were vaulted but these have now collapsed. The walls are six-feet thick at the base thinning to four-and-a-half-feet thick further up. There is no sign of an entrance or stairway – these were presumably at first floor level.
The castle is now only a shadow of its former self much having tumbled in the last century. It forms a prominent feature from the beach and from the land forms a backdrop to an attractive cottage garden.
Kildonan Castle today with the Firth of Clyde in background
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle.