Kilmartin Castle in 1905
Kilmartin Castle as it is today
Kilmartin Castle stands in the village of that name in Argyll. It consists of a low, 16th century Z-plan tower house of random rubble (originally harled). Gun loops and iron grilles proclaim that defence was a feature still worth incorporating. It, as so many others, fell into ruin and was quite inaccessible until taken over by SCA member Tom Clarke in 1988. A project of restoration was begun and completed by 1995.
Tom wishes to encourage other potential restorers to do the same and not to be put off. He promises that they will find the whole exercise rewarding and at the end of it they will have a family home.