The 16th century tower of Lochnaw is beautifully situated on the loch of that name near Stranraer. A wing with steeply pitched roof (originally thatched) was added in 1663 followed by yet another in 1704.
The greatest change, however, was in 1822 with a gargantuan addition in the ‘Tudor’ style which completely dominated the site. Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder but fortunately the cost of upkeep was such than in 1953 it was demolished thus restoring Lochnaw to roughly its 17th century appearance.
In latter life Lochnaw was a school, a hotel and a religious centre but now it is, once more, a home.