Tinnis Castle stands within an Iron Age fort high on a hill near Drumelzier. The site is spectacular though the remains are scant. It consisted of a strong 16th century tower house with a substantial enclosure wall flanked with twin circular towers. Large fragments of widely scattered mortar bound masonry would suggest that the tower was violently blown up by gunpowder. The engraving dated 1788 shows that much has been lost since that time.